After loosing the battle to tempt Christ into sin, the Devil departs “until an opportune time.” (Luke 4:13)
AN “OPPORTUNE TIME” – That is what the Enemy of our soul is soliciting from you as he “prowls about like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8)
Let me suggest five “opportune times” when Satan is most likely to strike:
1. During periods of strength and success –
“But when (Uzziah) became strong, his heart was so proud that he acted corruptly, and was unfaithful to the Lord… ” (2 Chronicles 26:16a).
2. When you choose to live by wrong priorities –
David, while at the pinnacle of his career got into trouble with Bathsheba because he was lounging when he should have been fighting (See 2 Samuel 11).
3. When you decide to go against godly counsel –
Jehoshaphat, who for years had followed God in an exemplary fashion, chose to discount a prophet’s warning not to go to war. It cost him his life (See 2 Chronicles 18).
4. When you, in your pride, think that you are capable of winning over Satan’s “stratagems” –”Put on the full armor of God… to stand firm against the schemes of the devil” (Ephesians 6:11, 13).
5. During times of stress and fatigue –
Elijah hit a devastating low after his victorious but intense encounter with the 450 prophets of Baal, and after traveling a demanding day’s journey (See 1 Kings 18:37-19:4).
QUESTION: What steps do you need to be taking now to insure the fact that you are not Satan’s next victim… during an “opportune time?”