“But the goal of our instructions is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.” (1 Timothy 1:5)
1. “LOVE FROM A PURE HEART”
That is: Simply loving people with no strings attached.
While they were butchering Jesus on a pole, He cried, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34).
That is pure love. And that is how we are to love others.
2. “LOVE FROM A CLEAR CONSCIENCE”
That is: Simply ministering to people out of pure motives: Guilt free. Only possible if:
- I understand what God wants me to do: My calling.
- I accept my God-given limitations in fulfilling that calling: My humanity.
- I appropriate the unconditional grace of God for my life and calling: My resources.
“…Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.” (2 Timothy 2:1)
“Therefore, since we have this ministry, we have received mercy… ” (2 Corinthians 4:1)
3. “LOVE FROM A SINCERE FAITH”
That is: Simply loving people without hypocrisy. (Romans 12:9a)
Judas’ kiss in betraying Christ is illustrative of hypocritical love. (Luke 22:47, 48)