“Then He got into the boat and His disciples followed Him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We‘re going to drown!“ He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?“ Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey Him!” (Matthew 8:23-27)
At 2:30 p.m. I was on the phone with an attorney discussing a legal issue. At 6:30 p.m. his 12-year-old daughter was dead. Icy roads. An auto accident.
Life’s storms, like the disciples who were caught in a vicious gale are often:
- “Without warning“
- Overwhelming – The waves “swept over the boat.“
Jesus led the Twelve into the boat, and proceeded to fall asleep. An overpowering storm then arose. Surrounded as we are by life’s furious and unexpected storms, we often find ourselves crying out:
- Did not Christ lead us (into the boat)? Do we not have the right to a storm-free journey?
- Is He, or is He not sovereign over our lives?
- Is God’s timetable different than ours in calming life’s storms?
- When Jesus seems to be sleeping, what does it mean? He is indifferent? Or is He stretching our faith?
How we answer these questions will depend upon the object of our focus:
- The storm, which guarantees nail biting. Ulcers. Panic. Or:
- Jesus, who will lead us to inner peace: “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” (Isaiah 26:3)
Why does God allow furious, overwhelming storms “without warning“? I don’t know. But I do know that “if God were small enough to be understood He would not be big enough to be worshipped.” After Jesus calmed the storm, the disciples exclaimed, “What kind of man is this?” And God’s answer? “The Sovereign God of our every circumstance.”
QUESTION: Have you discovered “what kind of man Jesus is?” If you have, then your life will be distinguished by an inner peace… whatever your state of affairs.