1 Timothy 1:18-19
“Let your conscience be your guide” is a well-known expression, but one that isn’t necessarily good advice. That’s because your moral compass is only as reliable as the principles you’ve learned. It will be a dependable safeguard through your life if you store up biblical instruction. But using false ideologies from popular culture to program your conscience will set you up for moral failure.
Our heavenly Father has given each person a conscience as a gift intended to be a tool of the Holy Spirit—our one true Guide. As such, it is designed to protect you from going astray. Your conscience is most trustworthy when the following seven statements are true of you:
- Jesus Christ is your Savior and Lord.
- The Bible is the basis for your conduct.
- You have a strong desire to obey God.
- You make decisions prayerfully.
- Your conscience sounds the alarm when you consider a wrong direction.
- You feel guilty when you disobey.
- You feel compelled to repent of your transgression.
A trustworthy conscience reacts immediately to disobedience. There is no making excuses over whether or not something may have been wrong.
To develop a reliable inner compass, read and apply Scripture so God’s principles will override any false or corrupted programming. Then, with the Holy Spirit’s guidance, your conscience will alert and protect you. Ask God to make it an effective tool for leading you.