I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. John 15:5
What can we do without Christ? Nothing. What can we accomplish when we abide in Him? One man said, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). What, then, does it mean to abide in Christ?
- “A” stands for absolute surrender. We have to come to Him just as we are, confessing our sin and saying, “You are the potter and I am the clay.”
- “B” stands for believe. We have to trust Him completely to do with us, for us, and around us what is very best while we stand on His promises.
- “I” stands for insight. We have to pour ourselves into His Word each day, learning His ways and gaining His insights for living.
- “D” stands for dedication. We have to persevere over time, separating ourselves from sinful habits and from people or places that may hinder our purity.
- “E” stands for enthusiasm. We go about His work in the power and energy He provides.
Nothing takes the place of abiding in Christ, for everything depends on Him.
Let the Word create around you, create within you a holy atmosphere, a holy heavenly light, in which your soul will be refreshed and strengthened for the work of daily life. Andrew Murray, author of Abide in Christ